Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Reflections of a grain cart driver

As the season draws to a close, and my grain cart days come to an end, I thought I'd take a moment to reflect on my time in the tractor this year.  (After all, I have nothing else exciting to post today.). So here are my top ten life (tractor) lessons learned:

10.  The first rule is "DO NOT GET STUCK".  Really?  You would think it would be something more like "Don't hit anything" or "Don't miss the truck when you unload".

9.  Always wear appropriate footwear to the field.  Even if you think you are just there to drop off a lunch or water jug, be prepared to spend at least two hours and don't wear flip flops.

This was not in my afternoon plan
8.  I am never, ever getting a manual transmission vehicle.  My left leg is completely incapable of easing gently on and off the clutch.  I always thought it was a coordination issue, but I may need to do some strengthening excercises.  I wonder if the IRS would recognize a leg press as a business expense.

7.  Do not get stuck in the mud.  I cannot tell you how many times I heard this.

6.  If your father-in-law tells you one thing and your husband tells you something different, you should probably listen to the one you have to sleep with at night.

5.  Driving a tractor is kind of fun...until you've been at it for more than 8 hours.  I have new sympathy for the time Quentin puts in during planting season.  It is hard (and exhausting) to sit still for that long!

4.  If you eat your sandwich in the tractor while watching your husband eat his sandwich in the combine as he unloads, date night obligations are fulfilled.

3.  If you want an added challenge, throw a two year old in the passenger seat.  For even more fun, pile in his older sister.  If you can ignore them moving your seat up or down and honking the horn, they provide good entertainment.


Expert navigators
2.  The appropriate driving speed is the speed that gets you to and from the trucks in time for the combine to dump on you.  You waiting on the combine...ok.  The combine waiting on you...NOT OK.  The latter will result in a phone call from your impatient husband.

1.  DO NOT GET STUCK IN THE MUD!!!!  Seriously.




No comments:

Post a Comment